Talk Like a Pirate Day September 19
· Birthstone: Sapphire
· Flower: Aster
· Zodiac signs: Virgo and Libra
· .Fun Facts about September
· It is the first month of the Autumn or Fall season.\\
· Constitution Week takes place during the month of September.
· September in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to March in the Southern Hemisphere.
· American college and professional football begins during the month of September.
· Many kids begin the school year during this month.
· Teacher's Day is celebrated in India on September 5.
· The Anglo-Saxons also called this month Gerst Monath meaning barley month. This is because they would harvest their barley crops during this month.
· September is often associated with fire because it was the month of the Roman god Vulcan. Vulcan was the Roman god of fire and the forge.
September 2 John MacDonald
September 10 Doug Stewart
September 18 Marv Bradow
September 23 Julie Dorcey
September 2 Bill & Alice Parsons
September 7 Vance & Mary Ann Gary
September 3 Potluck & Discretionary
Sept.6,13,20,27 Bible Study 10 a.m.
September 17 Joint Council Meeting
September 26 Grocery Give away
We Pray For
Barb Blair, Nora & Jackie Brundt, Dick Davis, Dr. Jim Deering, Kelly Dorcey, Neil Frisbie, Nevin Gagstedder, Bev. Gardner,John Garside, Keegan Harrington, Rick Harrington, Diane Martinez, Chris Honsa ,Priscilla Howey, Danielle Huffman, Chari Johnson,Bob Kleinbrook, Paul Krause, Carel LeCureux, Norma Lee, Rev. Richard Lee, MaryLou & Al Luoma, Rev. John MacDonald, Ava Nordeen, Kenny Patty, Rosalie Peterson, David Pettinga, Christine Purnell, Shirley Sproul, Jessica Taylor
We also pray for our family members in the military.
Jay Bergstresser, Tim Callaham, Mitchell Curley, Aaron and Melanie Engles, Jarred Loveless, Brook Morris, Christopher Morris, Patrick Morris, Jayson and Tonya Raymer, Cory Rick, Christopher Scott, Anthony Sidoti, Kyle Shepherd, Bryan Szucs,
. Stephany and Joel Therrion.
On The Light Side
A man owned a small farm in South Georgia. The Wage and Hour Depart,ent suspected he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent to interview him. The agent asked: “You give me a list of your employees and tell me how much you pay them.” The farmer responded: “All right. I have a hired man. Been with me for three years. I pay him $600.oo a week plus room and board. I have a cook. She’s been here six months. She gets $500.00 a week plus room and board.” The agent wrote all this information down on his pad and asked: “Anybody else?” The farmer responded: “Yeah, there’s a half-wit here. He works about 18 hours a day. I pay him $10.00 per week and give him chewing tobacco.” The agent, looking surprised and said: “Aha!! I want to talk to that half-wit.” The farmer smiled and responded: “You’re talkin to him!” The agent’s jaw dropped!
The Prepared Pastor
A pastor was out making his rounds to see ill church members when he ran out of gas. As luck would have it, there was a station just down the street. He walked to the station to borrow a gas can and buy enough gas to start the car and drive to the ststion to fill up. The attendant at the station regretfully told him that the only can he owned had just been loaned out but if he would care to wait, he was sure it would be returned shortly. The pastor was on the way to see an ill church member, so he decided not to wait. He walked back to the car. He looked for something to carry the gas in and he spotted a bed pan that had been left in his car by a church member he had taken home from the hospital the previous week. Always resourceful, he carried it back to the gas station and filled it with gasoline, and carried it back to his car. As he was pouring the gas into the tank of his car, two men walked by and stopped abruptly just staring at the pastor. One of those men turned to the other and said, “Now that’s what I call faith!” The pastor just smiled and kept pouring.
What a wonderful lesson this was for me. I do not recall ever being taught this in school. "The Meaning in the Flag-Draped Coffin"
All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation.
Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers: Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?
Have you ever noticed that the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!
The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.
The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.
The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.
The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.
The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'
The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic..
The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.
The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.
The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.
The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.
The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their Nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'
After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the Unied States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.
There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning. In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.
Please share this with the children you love and all others who love what is referred to as the symbol of ' Liberty and Freedom.'
The Wonders of using COCONUT OIL
Be sure to buy organic coconut oil. Most Walmarts carry it on the aisle with the other cooking oils also health stores should have them as well.
1. Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face.
19. Healing - when applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues. Plus, it smells a heck-of-a-lot better than anything from the pharmacy.
Thanks Jan Potts
Quiz for September
. Bible Trivia Questions About Bible Stories and Characters.
1.How much time did Jonah spend in the belly of the whale?
2. Why did a Bible published in London in 1632 become known as the Wicked Bible?
3. The name of God is not mentioned in only one book of the Bible. Which one?
4. What kind of wood was used to make Noah's Ark?
5. For what event in February 1964 did evangelist Billy Graham break his strict rule against watching TV on Sunday?
6. How old was Moses when he died?
7. How many books of the Bible are named for women?
8. In the Bible, for what "price" did Esau sell his birthright to his younger twin brother, Jacob?
9. . Who is the only woman whose age is mentioned in the Bible?
10. In the Bible, who did the sun and moon stand still before? .
11. According to the Bible, what substance was used to caulk Noah's ark and to seal the basket in which the infant Moses was set adrift on the Nile? .
Listen to the wind
Listen to the silence
Listen to the heart
Thanks Vera Olver
Subject: Fun Facts
1. Strawberry isn’t a berry but a banana is.
3. Cashews grow on trees like this:
4. And Brussels sprouts grow in long stalks like this:
8. McDonald’s sells 175,000 hamburgers every second of every day.
16. Vending machines are twice as likely to kill you than a shark is.
21. Pineapples grow like this:
22. Quinoa is the seeds of this plant
23. Kiwis grow on vines:
24. Ginger is the root of a plant:
25. And cinnamon is just the inner part of this tree after has begun to rot:
26. And artichokes are flowers that are eaten as buds. This is what they look like when flowered:
27. “Spam” is short for spiced ham.
32. There are over 7,500 varieties of apples throughout the world, and it
would take you 20 years to try them all if you had one each day.
Many thanks to Karen Redemaacher for sending these fun facts.
Answers to Bible Quiz
1. 3 days and 3 nights
2. Because “NOT” was missing from the 7th commandment, making it “Thou shall commit adultery.”
3. The Book of Esther
4. Gopher wood according to Genesis 6:14
5. The Beatles first appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show”
6. 120 years old according to the Bible (Deut. 34:7)
7. Two, Ruth and Esther.
8. Pottage of Lentils (Genesis 25:29-34)
10. In the Bible, Joshua.
11. Pitch, a naturaal asphalt.
This “N” That
Harmony Weekend and Art and Craft Show in Harrisville on August 30th and 31st. Music on the hill during craft show from 9 am to 4 pm. Enjoy shopping and the music. Parade on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Lots of good food to purchase!
From the Kitchen
5 – 8 inch tortillias
1 lb. ground beef
½ to whole package of taco seasoning
¼ cup water
1 jar of taco sauce (I used Ortega medium but you can use mild or hot also)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (or more)
2 to 3 green onions chopped
1 8 inch or 9 inch pie pan or cake pan
Pour a little taco sauce in bottom of pan
Spread a tortillia with some of the refried beans. I found it was esier to fo this on a dinner plate and then place it in the pan.
Sprinkle some of the meat misture over the refried beans
Top with a couple of large spoonfuls (or more) of taco sauce then sprinkle with a some of the shredded cheese
Repeat layers until pan is almost full
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, uncover and top with the rest of the shredded cheese and continue baking for 6 to 7 minutes or until chesse is melted
Sprinkle chopped onion and tomatoes over the top. Cut in pie shaped pieces and serve with sour cream and addistional thick salsa.
I used 3 whole wheat tortillias. About 2/3 to ¾ of a jar of taco sauce. I also used a 9 inch cake pan. I think you can tell that I love cheese. My daughter and hubby loved it! mk
Margaret Krause, Editor
Ignore the typos and grammar, I did!
Corrections or complaints 724-5203